If you have hardwood flooring in Walnut Creek, CA, then caring and maintaining for your flooring is actually relatively easy to do. However, there are still a few guidelines to be aware of when it comes to cleaning and maintaining your hardware, so you avoid scratching or damaging the flooring.
- When caring for your hardwood flooring, you should always consult with the installer or the manufacturer of the flooring if you are unsure of the actual finish of the floor
- Placemats and rugs at entryways in the home to help prevent any dirt or debris from making its way in. These materials can scratch the hardwood
- Use plastic or fabric guides on the feet and bottoms of your furniture to help prevent any scratching
- Make sure to sweep, dust, and vacuum regularly. However, be sure to turn the roller off on the vacuum, or you can potentially scratch the wood’s surface
- Do close your curtains and blinds throughout the day, so the direct sunlight doesn’t fade or dry out the wood
- Always use a floor cleaner specially designed for hardwood flooring
- If you have pets, make sure to trim their nails regularly
- Never use abrasive cleaners on your hardwood flooring because it can easily scratch the surface of the wood
- Never leave standing water on the floors when mopping because the watery residue can fade the color of the wood, warp the wood, and damage it
- Never use an oil-based soap for cleaning your hardwood floors
- Avoid wearing heels or cleats or any other rough shoes on the hardwood flooring
- Never slide furniture across the floor if there is no protective barrier between the furniture and the floor
Protecting Your Investment
Hardwood flooring for your home in Walnut Creek, CA is a significant investment, so you want to be sure you are doing everything in your power to protect your investment. If regularly cleaned and maintained, the hardwood flooring can add a lot of value to the home.
Every hardwood floor has a protective layer of polyurethane that acts as the barrier between the surface of the floor and the actual wood. Therefore, when you are cleaning the wood, you are actually cleaning the polyurethane layer. Keeping this layer intact is important when it comes to maintaining the quality of the wood beneath it.
Remember, excessive moisture and heavy wear can seriously diminish the look and quality of your hardwood floors over time and can ultimately create scratches, dents, and other damage. Therefore, it is critical that you take the time to maintain and clean your floors to avoid this damage and to keep your beautiful floors looking new for longer in Walnut Creek, CA.